Short Ribbed Socks
ABOUT OUR SOCKS:
These are made of 75% pure alpaca and 25% nylon, which gives the socks shape. The sides are ribbed and the soles are cushioned; the toes are hand-linked to give a superb flat finish which is very comfortable.
Alpaca has unique hollow fibres which have higher insulating properties than any other wool. The fibre has a low prickle factor and can be worn by those who normally cannot tolerate wool next to their skin. Alpaca is as soft as cashmere to wear and as strong as silk and more hardwearing than both. Alpaca naturally repels bacteria and odour so socks can be worn for a week without the need to wash. Embrace the arrival of Long Life Socks!
We have found that alpaca socks and knitwear wash beautifully and there is no shrinkage at all, ever. We have socks that have been worn and washed regularly for the last five years and they are still perfect.
It is not heat that will ruin your alpaca goods but agitation, this is why it is imperative to do them on a wool cycle only in your machine – or hand wash of course. Beware of washing machines that are microchipped - once you have selected a setting it cannot be changed if it is incorrect - the programme is set (Miele is the prime example) and no amount of knob twiddling will change that setting!
Wash on a 30/40° C wool cycle.
- No more than 1 Kilo of washing to be in machine.
- Use wool specific detergent.
- Wash in a net bag or pillowcase.
- Can be washed gently by hand in tepid water with a short spin.
- Wash dark colours separately - occasionally there is a little excess dye.
- Reshape while damp.
- Do not bleach.
- Dry naturally – they do take 24 hours to air dry properly.
- Do not dry on direct heat such as a radiator or Aga.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Can be ironed.