The Best Way to Care for your Alpaca Socks
We're fully aware that our alpaca socks are wonderful for wearing for days on end, but there will always come a day when, returning from a trip or just having a general wash day you want to give yours a spring clean. So here's how. This applies to your alpaca sweaters as well by the way.
Know first that it isn't heat that ruins a beautiful pair of alpaca socks, but too much agitation, so always stick to the wool cycle in your washing machine. And although we say heat isn't a culprit don't please put them in with your sheets or on a high temperature cotton wash - that definitely won't improve them. You'd think that was obvious, but you'd be amazed what some people do........
We have found that alpaca socks wash beautifully and there is no shrinkage at all, ever. We have socks that have been worn and washed for five years and they are still perfect.
Our basic instructions:
- Wash on a 30/40°C wool cycle.
- Can be washed gently by hand in tepid water with a short spin.
- Wash dark colours separately.
- Reshape while damp.
- Do not bleach.
- Dry naturally - they do take 24 hours to air dry properly.
- Do not dry on direct heat such as a radiator or Aga. Dry flat.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Wash in a net bag or pillow case.
- Can be ironed if you really want to
Look after your alpaca socks using the best way to care for them and they'll be your friends for many years, whether you're talking about everyday socks, bed socks or socks for walking up steep hills in chilly weather. Nothing beats a great pair of alpaca socks........