All our alpaca socks, with the exception of bed socks, are made of 75% pure alpaca and 25% nylon which gives the socks shape. Our socks have hand-linked toes which makes the seams flat and comfortable.
Alpaca has unique hollow fibres which have higher insulating properties than any other wool. The fibre has a low prickle factor and can be worn by those who normally cannot tolerate wool next to their skin. Alpaca naturally repels bacteria and odour so socks can be worn for a week without the need to wash. Embrace the arrival of Long Life Socks!
We have found that alpaca socks and knitwear wash beautifully and there is no shrinkage at all, ever. We have socks that have been worn and washed regularly for the last five years and they are still perfect.
It is not heat that will ruin your alpaca goods but agitation, this is why it is imperative to do them on a wool cycle only in your machine – or hand wash of course.
- Wash on a 30/40° C wool cycle.
- Wash in a net bag or pillowcase.
- Can be washed gently by hand in tepid water with a short spin.
- Wash dark colours separately.
- Reshape while damp.
- Do not bleach.
- Dry naturally – they do take 24 hours to air dry properly.
- Do not dry on direct heat such as a radiator or Aga.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Can be ironed.